UK 29/M UK based seeking advice in new career, also due to move to Brazil in a few years. What are my options??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I would describe myself as a late developer in life. I've had a few health issues and personal factors to iron out (who hasn't) but here we are, 29 year old male currently studying Level 3 AAT based in UK having completed a LVL 2 in bookkeeping. I have a diploma from the University of Sussex in history and politics (dropped out final year). I have spent my 20s working predominantly in Operational Management related roles in the private sector and in the last number of years worked self employed as a Garden Landscaper.

Having had plenty of time to think I am confident that I wish for a career in accounting, however the direction I wish to be going down is slightly unclear at this point. Perhaps those with more experience could offer some feedback for me. For further context to my personal life, I have a longdistance relationship which I need to take into consideration regarding my career route - most likely will be relocating to Brazil within the coming years to maintain my relationship with my partner.

Due to my incomplete educational record up to degree I have concerns over what implications this may have on my route into the accounting/financial world.

Currently self funding my AAT studies and wish to obtain my first job within the accounting sector very soon. I will complete Level 3 by March 2025 with one final years study to go. I anticipate I will self education my final year rather than go to a local college which is teaching me one day a week currently so as to make myself available to full time employees. I then had plans to continue studies with ACCA, though I now have growing concerns about my need to relocate to Brazil in the future and what implications this may have. As far as I am aware the ACCA is recognised by Brazil and I can self study which is not the issue (unless anyone tells me otherwise). My concerns lie in setting myself up with a UK based or American based company (which I understand requires a CPA qualification) whilst living in Brazil.

Are my desires feasible or even realistic, and if so what avenue would be best to progress as quickly and efficiently as possible. I appreciate that I am only at the very beginning of my accountancy life and am yet to earn my first paycheck from a job within the sector, but I am ambitious, confident in my own ability and would rather paint a full picture before setting out on a direction.

Which qualifications are best suited for my needs? ACCA, CIMA, ACA, CPA which would be most transferable given I will most likely be relocating?

What is the likelihood of me initiating my career in the UK until I have completed AAT and then moving to Brazil whilst maintaining work/finding new work whilst continuing further studies? I appreciate that most companies that take on new recruits at trainee level expect them to remain with the company post graduation, however I imagine moving to a new timezone would complicate this greatly.

Additional to this, if I rewind a little what initial jobs should I be going for at the beginning stages of my journe? Am I really expected to start off as an apprentice on a trainee wage until I complete level 4. I am fortunate that I have no family or mortage requirements which mean I am flexible to my route I take at this point.

Am I not considering an other potential hiccups? All advice would be greatly appreciated at this time? I feel like a lost puppy before even starting, but very keen to get a move on.

Many thanks.

Ask a Question